Friday, October 13, 2006

A Wii Breakdown


Well...I probably did the geekiest thing I've ever done. I waited in front of the local Gamestop for 2 and a half hours to preorder the Nintendo Wii. I was number 4 in line and got the chance to talk with a lot of like-minded folks. All seemed well.

It was then that I witnessed a demonstration of entropy. The doors opened at 10 am and all 29 of us headed inside to put our 50 bucks down on the latest and greatest from Japan. The sales guy took the first person on the list and started entering her name. Tragedy struck. The SKU number was not registering in his computer. We were told that we would not be able to pre-order now and would have to take our chances later. Babies cried. People complained.

The sound got louder and more boisterous. Finally there was yelling and gnashing of teeth. Threats were made. Soccer moms began the cell phone calls to their husbands to bring them in to "handle this." The sales guy PROMISED to call us when the computers came back up and we could pay it then.

That seemed to pacify the mobs. We left. I came back later and paid my deposit. November 19th will be a great day! Wii-tastic!

I have also attended Star Trek conventions.

Live Long and Prosper,
BV

0 comments: