Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lessons from a LOST Party

Greetings faithful readers,

Last night I was invited to join an entire room of LOST fans for the kickoff of season five. I heard that they had done this in previous seasons, so I was anxious to see what exactly would happen when 30+ LOST fans got together to watch an episode...and I wasn't disappointed.

As I approached the house, I knew I was in the right place because of the fully-burning tiki torches out front. That wasn't all...the Garcias went the extra mile and actually had those whispery spooky voice noises coming out of the bushes...a nice touch. I knocked on the Dharma logo on the front door...and the night began.

I was greeted by a polar bear (Olivia). Yep. A polar bear. I knew right away that my Dr. Marvin Candle scientist garb was definitely not going to win best costume. Passing the polar bear, I was greeted warmly by the black smoke monster (Roberto) and someone dressed like Hurley. At this point, it didn't matter whether or not I even saw the show...I was already having a good time!

I grabbed a Dharma water and sat down for a night of LOST-y goodness (It is important to note here that there were many Dharma products available...water, corn, dip, soda, etc. all over the counters. The attention to detail was astounding) I sat in front of Scott/Steve (convincingly portrayed by Stacie and Stacey) and behind Juliette (Rebecca as a blonde). To my right, an extremely accurate Faraday (a bearded Yoel) and to my left an equally convincing Mikhail (Carlos) The HD screen was huge and the anticipation was growing more and more as the magical hour approached.

The plan was to pause the show for 30 minutes to allow commercial-skipped viewing during the show. At 9:08PM, somebody hit the wrong button...and began playing the new show live. The room erupted and people searched frantically for the remote to pause it and rewind. With that sorted out...the show began (for us) at 9:15PM. Two episodes later....the LOST faithful in the room had a few of their plot questions answered, and a few new ones to chew on.

We took our group photo and said our good-byes. I had a great time and was thankful for the invitation. The shows were good...but the group I got to enjoy them with made it even better

Namaste!

BV

2 comments:

Ro(bert)o Lopez said...

You forgot to mention how you demonstrated your sweet origami skills!

Anonymous said...

You need to publish the invitation videos you made!!! They are awesome!