Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Dented Lunchboxes

Greetings Faithful Readers...

If you were a child of the 1970s (like I was)...there were probably two things you did that kids today can't really relate to. When it came time to bring your homemade PBJ, more than likely, you rocked one of these metal lunchboxes (complete with hard plastic thermos).

I LOVED my lunchbox when I was a kid. Mom and I made choosing my yearly lunchbox a big thing... We'd drive to Zayre's and spend the better part of an hour looking at each design and picking the coolest one. Some of my lunchboxes included: The Six Million Dollar Man, The Super Friends, Star Wars, Land of the Lost, and Spider Man.

Problem with me and these lunchboxes were that they would dent easily. Mom would always wonder why my lunchbox would come home bent. I told her I dropped it a lot...but if she looked at the dents a little closer, she would realize that they were head-shaped. That's right. I used to clock my buddies over the head with my aluminum lunchbox. Hard. I wasn't trying to hurt them...but I was 9 and it seemed like the right thing to do when they wouldn't trade me for my sandwich. Give me some grace...I was 9.

What's the other 1970s thing we all did? Come back tomorrow to find out...

BV

1 comments:

April said...

I was of the plastic lunchbox bunch but I had a metal one early on that I LOVED. I must have dented mine too because it disappeared but a friend found a duplicate for me 3 yrs ago in TX at an antique store (ouch). It's in my kitchen now. Little Orphan Annie with pics from the movie, complete w/thermos oohlala.